A horrified mum left traumatised after her toddler was burnt by bleach at nursery has been paid thousands in damages.
Little Blake Nilssen was just 10 months old when daycare staff at Little Dreams in Aberdeen, in north east Scotland, left him unattended around the bucket of chemicals.
The infant suffered second degree burns all over his body before terrified parents, Ellie and Daryl, heard “chilling” screams as they pulled up outside the nursery, The Sun reports.
The had to rush their son to hospital on November 4, 2021 after the daycare failed to call an ambulance.
The little boy had been covered in paper towels after accidentally dousing himself in the chemicals – which made his burns worse, ripping the blisters away from his fragile skin.
Aberdeen Royal Infirmary placed the toddler in a special shower for over an hour to monitor the pH levels of affected areas.
Mum Ellie, 28, said: “At the time I said this incident was indefensible and I still feel that way.
“There really was a sense that it shocked parents all over the country. Many people reached out with concern and support.
“I am still disappointed in the nursery’s reaction to everything. Even when presented with evidence – like photos of my burned and blistered baby – they tried to deny or downplay their failings.
“It took a legal action to get the answers we deserved and get Little Dreams to hold their hands up.”
The devastated mum insisted a payout was never the goal of their legal action, and all the money has been placed in a trust for Blake.
He will only have access to the funds when he turns 16.
Despite healing physically, the tot displays signs of emotional trauma and still reacts badly around water.
“We’re grateful to everyone who has helped us from friends and family, to NHS staff who treated Blake’s injuries to our legal team who helped hold the nursery accountable”, Ellie added.
“As a family we now just want to try and put this painful episode behind us and look forwards so we request that our privacy is now respected.”
Neil Davidson, Partner at Digby Brown Solicitors in Aberdeen, was in charge of Ellie and Daryl’s legal battle for their son.
Investigations brought to light that procedures were not followed correctly at Little Dreams and evidence showed staff were not trained to deal with such an event.
Risk assessments were not carried out and a Care Inspectorate investigation found staff gave “differing accounts of what happened”, and had “ineffective” supervision.
The nursery was also scrutinised for failing to call an ambulance when the tragedy struck.
Mr Davidson said: “No parent should have to worry about the welfare of their child when placing them into the care of professionals so with this legal action we knew there were three key priorities.
“This included providing Blake with access to specialist medical care, providing Ellie and Daryl with answers and shedding light on negligent care to improve standards for everyone.
“I sincerely hope parents and care providers everywhere consider the gravity of what happened in this very harrowing ordeal and take steps to ensure such incidents are never repeated.”
This article originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission
Originally published as Parents get payout after son badly burnt by chemicals at daycare
Denial of responsibility! insideheadline is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.