Richard Marles vows to continue flying over Paracel Islands in SCSea, increase military exercises with Japan


Marles said Australian ships and submarines would also continue to uphold the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea in the Taiwan Strait.

“Our national interest lies in asserting the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea,” he said. “That is the case everywhere”

Bloomberg reported on Monday that Chinese military officials had begun repeatedly asserting during meetings with their US counterparts that the Taiwan Strait was not in international waters. The threat opens up the possibility of blocking the ships of the United States and its allies in the strait or triggering accidental conflict in one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes.

The air force incident between Australian and Chinese warplanes in May was raised by both sides in Sunday’s meeting, which focussed heavily on defence disputes. China said it warned the Australian plane before releasing a flare and metal scraps which endangered the crew of the Australian plane flying near the Paracel Islands.

The conversation in Singapore on Sunday was direct, with both countries raising their concerns while avoiding long-winded speeches and formulaic exchanges that can drag out bilateral discussions with few substantive results.

The Paracel Islands are claimed by both China and Vietnam.Credit:File

By the end of the meeting, which went overtime, both sides were prepared to begin discussing future dialogue, signalling defence engagement may be the path via which other ministries – including foreign affairs and trade – resume having direct conversations that have been frozen for almost three years.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has made it clear that the relationship cannot get back on track until China lifts $20 billion in trade sanctions on Australia, a threshold that was spoken about in general terms on Sunday.

Said Marles: “We’ve got a lot of issues to work through and this is still just the first step, but yes, it’s definitely positive.”

From Left, US Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin, Singaporean Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen, and his counterparts, Australia’s Richard Marles and China’s Wei Fenghe.

From Left, US Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin, Singaporean Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen, and his counterparts, Australia’s Richard Marles and China’s Wei Fenghe.Credit:AFP

Marles said other regional ministers at the Shangri La security conference had reacted positively to the meeting. “I think that there was a general feeling that this was returning dialogue to the Australia-China relationship,” he said.

University of Sydney history professor James Curran said there had been a tonal shift in the Australian government’s approach to foreign policy.

“Let’s not flick the switch immediately to the euphoria of ‘breakthrough’ kind of language. But let’s also be positive in acknowledging that it’s a resumption of some kind of dialogue,” he said.

Chinese state media have spent the past month campaigning for a reset on China’s terms, urging Australia to come to the negotiating table ahead of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries.

Labor’s election win in May was also the trigger for a direct message from Chinese Premier Li Keqiang to Albanese. On Saturday, China’s ambassador to Australia, Xiao Qian, told the Australia China Friendship Society that the relationship was at “at a new juncture, facing many opportunities”.

Loading

Asia-Pacific expert Bates Gill, a professor at Macquarie University, said the positive step of the meeting did need to be tempered by the scale of the challenge faced in reaching any compromise on the range of issues that have plagued the relationship.

“I think we have to have low expectations going forward about how far and how fast this kind of discussion can go,” he said. “So let’s take this as a win but with our eyes wide open and understanding that it’s just a very small step, really, in the large picture of things.”

Get a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for the weekly What in the World newsletter here.



Source link

Denial of responsibility! insideheadline is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.