SKY Q box owners are just realising they can ditch their Wi-Fi for good, in favour of a more stable Ethernet connection.
If you’re struggling with a slow Sky Q box and lagging download speeds, then this might be the solution for you.
It may sound daunting, but it’s easy to set up.
There is one catch, however.
Your main Sky box must be within easy Ethernet reach of your router.
If you have a cable and a box nearby each other, then you’ll be good to go.
Simply follow these steps:
- First, turn on your Sky box.
- Head to Settings > Network connection > Network setup.
- Then, select Reset and wait while your internet connection is checked.
- Once it’s done, press Confirm to reset your network.
- Your Sky Q box will show a Resetting message on the screen while it’s happening.
- When it’s over, plug in an Ethernet cable from your router into the Ethernet port on the back of the Sky Q box (it’s covered by a label that you can peel off).
- Next, press Connect to your router using a wired connection.
- Your Sky Q box will then get a new IP address from your router and connect to the internet.
If you go for an all-Ethernet option with no wireless components like your Wi-Fi hub, then you can disable Sky’s Wi-Fi in Settings.
This will stop your Sky system interacting with your Wi-Fi, and strengthen broadband around the home by having one less wireless dependant.
It’ll boost your Sky box’s download speeds too.
If you have mini boxes around the house, you’ll need to reconnect them through either a wireless or wired connection.
Whichever box you’ve been having problems with should have a wired connection.
If you’ve had no issue with your mini boxes then a wireless connection should be fine – plus, it may be difficult getting an Ethernet cable to all of them.
Alternatively, you can consider getting a mesh Wi-Fi system.
If you want to set up a wired connection to a mini box, follow these instructions:
- Turn of the mini TV box.
- Plug the Ethernet cable into the back.
- Once you’ve done that, turn the box on and go to Settings > Network connection > Network setup.
- Then hit Reset and wait for the system to check your connection.
- Next, click Confirm.
- Once you’re done, you’ll see a screen that says Step 1 of 4 which has information on how to connect your Mini box to your Sky Q system. (This should only appear for a few seconds, before the Mini box automatically detects the Ethernet connection).
Best Phone and Gadget tips and hacks
Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find those secret features within social media apps? We have you covered…
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
Denial of responsibility! insideheadline is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.